lauantai 30. maaliskuuta 2019

JS1k 2019 writeup part 2 - ShadowBoX


Shadow box is a display case where objects are placed in layers to achieve depth effect. It was originally used to present memorabilia, but artists have taken this concept much further to create little worlds inside the frames. The most typical approach seems to be to cut silhouettes from cardboard and put led lights behind them. End results can be stunning. Creating a nature landscape in this style was the initial idea behind my ShadowBoX demo. As often happens once you start to work on something it can take a life of its own...

1. Recycling


To get off to a quick start I reused some of my dwitter.net codes. To build the trees I used a recursive function lifted from my "Fractal In The Wind" demo. I tried to avoid the typical straight lines look so I drew the trunk and branches with curves and set lineCap to round. I made the trees bend towards the center so they create a more intimate feel. Hills I could pretty much directly copy from "Parallax Mountains". I mixed the two together and added a CSS radial-gradient background. Just like that I had a PoC version done...


To give the landscape a more organic feel I added some randomly placed plants. They filled up the ground nicely and I though I could spend rest of the bytes on the storyline and animated objects. Since it was a moonlit scene having an owl flying towards the viewer was a must. I stumbled across a goofy bat animation on the internet and tried implementing something similar. I used the same drawing approach for the owl as I did for the car in the "Cruising the 80s" demo. Sine waves always provide a simple way to achieve natural looking movement. Adding rotation made the owl more interesting and unpredictable.

2. Simple solutions


At this point I thought I had a nice demo and could just polish it. Once I showed it to a colleague of mine, Rami Repola, he immediately commented that it should have fog and lightning. My initial reaction was of course "try to add that with one hundred bytes yourself!" Soon I realized that such effects would work really well to form a storyline. Only problem was that they'd require lots of new code. Or would they?

I realized that I already have trees which are kind of like lightning when you think about it. So I did a very simple variation of the recursive tree function. Also I could just bypass setting the background color of the canvas element during the lightning strikes and it would be left at the default white color. Best solutions often seem obvious but somehow are really hard to spot at first.



Because I'm using CSS to set the background color, the actual canvas is kept transparent. I draw some white pixels on the top of the screen. They have anti-aliasing, so when I make a huge stretched copy of them with drawImage, they are just this big blurred area. When I saw how well it worked I was really happy with myself for a moment. :)

3. Snowstorm


Doing weather effects reminded me that I also had a very short snowstorm implementation in "Magical Winter Forest" dweet.


Well why not add that to the mix as well!

4. Golfing never ends

If there is one thing I've learned about code golfing it is that there always seem to be more ways to make things simpler and shorter. When something motivates you to try harder you will eventually find a way. Although I had already spent the allowed kilobyte, I started to have more ideas for the demo. It could be great if the scene was beautiful and peaceful at first before things get crazy. Something like a sunrise and swans in the lake. Back to work!



I needed to change the composition and adjust the background color. I made the trees move when the storm comes. And wouldn't it be great if that owl attacked the viewer in the end!

One thing I eventually had to leave out was the framing of the box. No biggie really. Last little adjustment was to drop the frame rate lower for an old cartoon animation feel. I really love this demo and I'm planning to program more shadow boxes later just for fun!

Follow me on Twitter if you want to hear of new demos and blog updates - @jylikangas

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti